Not all windows are created equal, so when it comes to selecting the best windows for your home, there are a number of important factors you’ll want to consider. A professional will be able to point you in the right direction when it comes to finding windows that are within your budget and will deliver the most bang for your buck, but we’ve compiled some information on the importance of the AAMA label and certification options to help get you started on your search.
In previous years, there was really nothing preventing every manufacturer with products on the market from advertising their windows as “the best.” The American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) now provides a way to help consumers through a standardized assessment that each window must go through to test the structural design and performance for air leakage, water penetration, and wind load pressure. The information and certifications available as a result of this allow consumers to more easily compare products across a number of different factors to determine what the best option for their home actually is.
Windows that display the AAMA label can carry a number of different levels of certification, but one of the best indicators of a top-quality product is if it has earned AAMA’s Gold Label Certification. In order for a window to be Gold Label Certified, there are a few requirements that must be met:
- The components of the window must be tested independently of each other to determine their function and efficacy.
- An inspector visits the factory twice a year and tests a window in postproduction to see how it operates. This ensures that the entire product line is of the utmost quality, not just a single window submitted for testing.
At Omaha Door & Window, we are proud to offer Soft-Lite Imperial windows, which are Gold Label Certified and exceed the expectations of the industry standards in each area of assessment.
- Air Infiltration: The industry standard is .30 cubic ft. per minute, but our Imperial window is only .02 cubic feet per minute.
- Water Penetration: The industry minimum is 33mph. Our Soft-Line Imperial is 56mph.
- Strength of Frame or Structural: The industry standard is 94mph, but our Imperials are an impressive 195mph.
Check out our website for more information on these windows. Plus, as a special offer, Omaha Door & Window is now offering triple pane windows at a double pane price!