Although many homeowners know that windows are an item that may need to be replaced in their home’s lifetime, many of those same homeowners don’t know when windows need to be replaced, or why. Do windows only need to be replaced when they’re old? Does that leaky window definitely need to be replaced?
At Omaha Door & Window, we have a great deal of experience in evaluating old windows and determining when they need to be replaced. Here are a few sure signs that it may be time to replace the windows in your home:
- You have single-pane windows: Many old homes have single-pane windows. Windows with single-pane glass are extremely energy inefficient, and are often very drafty and noisy.
- Your energy bill is abnormally high: A high energy bill isn’t always necessarily an indication of bad windows (especially if it’s been a particularly hot or cold month), but consistently high energy bills may be a sign that your windows are to blame.
- Your windows won’t open or close: Windows that are warped or cracked may not open properly, and painted or dirty windows can often seem difficult to open or close. Though not always a sure sign of repair, windows that won’t open or close are certainly cause for concern.
- Your windows leak: Old seals or rotting frames can cause your windows to leak in heavy storms. If your windows leak, inspect them closely, as leaky windows are often in need of replacing.
- Your home is ‘drafty’: If you can clearly feel drafts in your home and your windows aren’t open, your windows may need replacing. Old windows can have bad seals and can develop gaps that let air through when they shouldn’t. Single-pane windows are often very drafty.
- You can hear a lot of noise near your windows: Well-made double- and triple-paned windows insulate both weather and sound. If you can clearly hear noise coming through your windows, you may have old or leaky windows that need to be replaced.
- Your windows have condensation inside the glass: Finally, condensation inside double- or triple-paned windows often means that you’ll need to replace the window. It’s hard to “save” a window with a bad seal, so windows with condensation often need to be replaced.
Old windows aren’t just an eyesore—they can also cost you a lot of money on your energy bill and can even be unsafe in some instances. Replacing your windows, however, doesn’t have to be difficult, and here at Omaha Door & Window, we have a variety of window offerings that we can easily install with a full guarantee. We want to make sure all of our customers get quality products and expert service. Our windows are a big part of our mission: we’ll fit your home, your style, and your budget.
If you’ve reviewed the criteria above and think it may be time to replace your windows (or even if you’re not sure and would like to talk to an expert), don’t hesitate to reach out to us via our website’s Contact Us page. We’d love to help out! We’re also available on Facebook and on Twitter @OmahaDoor.